The end of studying.

I finally walked across the stage on Saturday, June 10, 2017 as a graduate student of Baker College. I can finally say that it's the end of studying. And yet, I know it's not. I will still be a student on every subject that I don't know well of. I can't believe I have come to this theory. I always felt that I could have done more. But I got so use to do more in my younger days in middle and high school, that I lost interest in college. I was advised by my parents that education is everything. That they spend their young adult days caring for I and my other six siblings for this day. Unfortunately, my parents and siblings were not able to attend my graduation. My parents had been preparing for their yearly food event in the summer for months. I was in no position to tell them that they had to come to my graduation. Long story short, I didn't even have tickets for my parents or siblings. The staff at my local college never once told me that I must go to the financial aid office to get my cord and my tickets. The school had 600 extra tickets. The graduation page for students was not clear and I figured this all the day before graduation. My little brother was going to attend but last minute before I left for the ceremony I told him not to come. I had no tickets! I was angry at first but I recognize it was more important for me to walk. I had already spent so much time in school and figuring out what I wanted to do. This walk was for me. I got up on stage, handed my yellow card (our information card with our name and degree) to the presenter, bow and threw kisses into the crowd. Then I walked to get my fake diploma, and shook the hand of the president of Baker College. The photographer took my picture and it happened so fast. I sat down and waited for all the other graduates to get their turn. I did all this again for myself. I already received my Bachelor degree a few weeks ago. I finished in March and had to walk in the summer as it was too late to walk for spring. I could have walked in spring as students are required to finish their requirements before the semester end. The best part of this all was that I walked with my high school pal, Vicky. I'm proud to say we struck together through our own obstacles and finished together. She's a good friend, a mother, a sister, a daughter and a good role model. This is the end and the beginning to a new study.

K.T

Comments

Popular Posts